Animal Rescue Volunteer, Dharamsala, India
Join our team as a volunteer in India. We’re a couple of people, one from India and the other from US. We met when we were both looking to help animals.
Animal Rescue Volunteer in India - Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: Aprox. 36 hours a week
What’s included? Free accommodation & 3 meals per day.
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, pocket money & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message me about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer & the dates you would be available
- We are an animal welfare community, stray animal recovery center, and organic farm in a village below Dharamsala. We are a little off the beaten path, in a village in rural Himachal. We began construction from an empty field a year and a half ago, and we are still always improving the recovery center, gardens, house, and farm.
- Our stray animal recovery center is a place for stray dogs, cows, donkeys, mules, and horses to heal before returning to the road. We are also have built a clinic for strays and pets in the surrounding villages.
- We provide our community with the surrounds conducive to good work. Working guests are welcomed into this community to help us with our daily tasks, for cultural exchange, and an infusion of energy! We eat all meals together in the kitchen. There are many places on the property for meditation, introspection, and quiet work.
- The farm is being developed to feed residents and volunteers. If it gets big enough we will start a line of "simple and humane" products.
Hours & Roster
- We are looking for people who want to help care for animals at our stray animal recovery center, help around the community house (both in daily chores and helping us build and set up), and work in the farm. Working guests also have an opportunity to bring their skills to the table while they are here. This can include (but certainly isn't limited to) art, farming, carpentry, sustainable building, video editing, writing, culture jamming, etc. Day volunteers are welcome, but have a slightly different application process.
- During the working shifts we often divide the tasks among working guests and distribute the work load. This is much more efficient, but can mean you are working in small groups or alone some of the time. We are looking for folks who can work independently or as a team and will take initiative to complete the day's tasks!
- We require a minimum of 3 weeks stay.
Sleeping: Our volunteers stay for free at our community house.
Linen & Laundry: Linen available. Laundry facilities available also.
Eating: 3 meals per day included free.
Transport: On confirmation of stay, we can provide more details on how best to get to us.
Amenities & Preferences
- All ages welcome, as long as 20+.
- Males, females & couples accepted.
- We’re looking for: volunteers, culture jammers, dog lovers, cow enthusiasts, horse people, vets, farmers, funders, computer people, programmers, poop scoopers, media wizards, subversives, artists, community organizers, designers, monkey wrenchers, builders, movers and shakers.
- About Dharamsala: It’s a one hour bus ride away. It is the home of his Holiness the Dalai Lama's temple, Tushita Meditation Centre, and one of the Vipassana centres of India. It is a hideout for hippies, a major destination for spiritual seekers, a haven for volunteers, and heaven for yogis. In the other direction there are the Masroor Temples and Kangra Fort.
Joellen & Robin
Come and join us as a volunteer in India, for a life changing experience.
We’re collaboration of people who are moved by the suffering of animals, and are dedicated to ending it.Sign up
Response Rate 100%
Response Time Within 5 Days
Minimum Stay 3 week +
Positions Available 2
Available DatesAsk us