Horse Groom on a Country Estate, Ireland, Europe
Come volunteer as a Horse Groom on a Country Estate in Ireland. We are offering the opportunity to get hands on experience with the ancient art of hunting and experience all aspects of country living in beautiful Ireland.
Horse Groom on a Country Estate - Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 30 hours a week
What’s included? Your own 1 bed apartment & small food stipend
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa(if needed), pocket money & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Our Hunt was founded in 1797 and hunts over the agricultural land of Kilkenny. The Kilkenny hunt employs two staff and a number of part time people. We are looking for willing helpers who enjoy country living, early mornings, fresh air and working with animals. Successful applicants will report to the on-site huntsman. As an experienced groom, you will help with some of the following tasks and have some of the following characteristics:
- English speaking.
- Must be good with horses & be a competent rider.
- Exercising horses and getting them ready for hunt days.
- All standard groom duties - must be able to plait and clip.
- Hunt maintenance duties (building hunt jumps, maintaining bridleways).
- Must be good with dogs.
- Hound training/showing, feeding hounds, washing kennels & walking puppies.
- Handy with building wooden and concrete structures.
- Managing gardens, painting and general DIY.
Hours & Roster
- 30 hours a week. Off days flexible & agreed in accordance with schedule.
- Ideally 6 months preferred. Shorter periods considered.
- Message chat & phone interview before agreeing stay.
Sleeping: We have two one bed room modern apartments available on site. You will have your own apartment.
Linen & Laundry: Linen and towels are provided. Washing machine also.
Eating: The apartment has a kitchen. All meals are your own responsibility. We will provide a small stipend towards the cost of breakfast.
Transport: You can get a bus directly from Dublin airport where we can arrange to meet you on arrival at the local bus station. Travel time is 2.5 hours and cost approx. €20 return.
Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 2 helpers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted (Work in summer would be quiet physical so might be more suited to males).
- No age preference.
- Single travellers, two friends and couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Free Wi-Fi available - 10 minutes’ walk to the Hunters Yard Restaurant.
- Learning: You will make hunt jumps, understand kennel management, the art of hunting/showing hounds and hound breeding.
- Jeep use: Use of jeep if you are licensed.
- Cycling: Bikes can be arranged.
- Hunting & sightseeing: You will get some hunting days in the winter and also countryside when travelling to hunts and shows around the country
We want to hear from those who enjoy country living, early mornings, fresh air and working with animals.
Our Hunt was founded in 1797 and hunts over the agricultural land of Kilkenny.Sign up
Response Rate Pending
Response Time Pending
Minimum Stay Pending
Positions Available Pending
Available DatesNot currently available, listing awaiting update from host