Hospital Volunteer in Romania, Tarnaveni, Transylvania, Romania
We send volunteers who are resident in the UK to work in the psychiatric section of Tarnaveni Hospital in Transylvania, Romania, to provide a programme of therapeutic activities for long-term patients.
Hospital Volunteer in Romania - Quick checks
Hours & Roster: 30-40 hours a week
What’s included? Free flights, insurance and city flat accommodation
What’s Not Included? Internal transport, pocket money
Selection process: CV and interview. Message me about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer & the dates you would be available. Must be resident in UK
We have 2 volunteer places available in Romania.
- Mental Health Volunteers: (you will be) developing a range of therapeutic activities for patients as well as advocating for and supporting individuals / groups and liaising with Romanian colleagues at all levels.
- Community Development Volunteers: (you will be) working with patients, families, hospital staff and the community to develop long-term solutions to some of the problems caused by poverty, discrimination & institutionalisation, by building capacity within the local community.
As a volunteer you will need to:
- Be able to work autonomously and be a self-starter.
- Make decisions and solve issues within set guidelines.
- Be extremely independent, resourceful and able to work on own initiative.
- Not be afraid to interact with local people despite any language barrier.
- Be flexible and adaptable to work in a challenging environment.
- Be confident, friendly, easy going, open-minded, reliable and well mannered.
- Understand Romanian mentality, and be highly respectful of local customs and culture.
- Have the maturity and demeanour to deal with any situation that arises.
- Be willing to learn Romanian.
Hours & Roster
- Flexible but typically 5 days a week i.e. Mon - Fri 10 am - 5 pm.
- Preferably 6 months but will consider shorter. You get 2 weeks off during the 6 month placement to go sightseeing.
- Email conversation, application and interview before agreeing stay. Please provide details on why you are interested in the volunteering with us, plus a current CV/resume.
Sleeping: Our charity rents a second floor, 2 bedroom flat with shared kitchen, lounge and bathroom which can accommodate up to 3 people. Therefore, depending on the number of placements at any one time this means 2 volunteers may be sharing a bedroom but this will be known and agreed in advance. The flat has double glazing, central heating and internet access with all bills paid by us.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and laundry facilities are included.
Eating: We do not provide a meals or food allowance. Current volunteers advise that a personal budget of £30 will provide groceries for 7 days. Eating out in town is also very reasonable with a large pizza costing £2.00 - £3.00 and a 3 course meal about £10 including wine.
Transport: We will provide the cost of a return flight from London Luton and medical insurance costs whilst in Romania.
Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 2 volunteers at any one time.
- Must be resident in UK.
- Volunteers need to be over 18 years with no upper age limit.
- Experience and skills relevant to the volunteer role are required.
- Couples, male and female volunteers can apply but will be considered individually according to our usual recruitment and selection process.
- Please note the volunteer flat and work environment have several flights of stairs.
- Internet available.
- You will experience the unique landscapes, warm hospitality and diverse culture of the region.
- You will develop skills & strengths and learn how to work flexibly in a new working environment.
- You will visit other NGOs in Romania in order to share information and build networks.
Our mission is to help create positive change in the Romanian mental health system. We achieve this through volunteering, exchanging knowledge, community engagement and working in partnership.
‘Volunteers for Mental Health’ (VfMH) is a small non-governmental organization based in the UK. It was established in 1998 and is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. As a volunteer you will be supported onsite in Romania and by our team in the UK.Sign up
Response Rate 100%
Response Time Within 10 days
Minimum Stay 6 months +
Positions Available 2
Available DatesAsk us