Learning Disability Teachers, Kasoa, Ghana, Africa
We welcome anyone above 18 years with good English, a passion to work with children, teachers, parents as well as the wider-community.
‘Campaign for Learning Disabilities’ is a registered non-governmental and not for profit charity committed to the rights, inclusion and improving the education and the lives of children with learning disabilities, building the capacity of their families, teachers and the wider-community in Ghana. Our work focusses on five programmes: Online Teaching, Education, Research & Advocacy, Parents Empowerment and Child Protection.
Stay duration: Minimum stay is 4 weeks or longer
Places available: 5 volunteers
Hours & roster: 30 hours a week, weekends free
What’s included? Free accommodation, meals & airport pickup included
What’s Not Included? Flights, travel health insurance, vaccinations, visa, pocket money
Schools in Ghana generally have large class sizes, with 75-150 pupils per class. As a result, teachers find it difficult to meet the needs of all of their students. Teacher training in Ghana does not cover learning disabilities. As a result, teachers in Ghana have little or no knowledge about learning disabilities and how to teach and support students with learning disabilities.
As a volunteer you will assist in public and private schools, teacher training colleges, orphanages and our after school learning clinic. As a Volunteer you will be asked to assist in the following areas:
- Volunteers in our ‘Teacher Development Project’ and assist with organising and providing training on inclusive education including the screening, identifying and teaching of children with learning disabilities. This project aims to develop Ghana’s capacity in adapting instruction to the needs of students with learning disabilities in mainstream primary schools.
- Assist in teaching children with learning disabilities, either one-on-one or in a small group of 2-5 students. Subjects taught include reading, writing, Mathematics, Science, ICT, creative arts, sports, drama, attention and good behaviour and social skills.
- Assist in counselling or explaining classwork and homework to pupils with learning disabilities, either one-on-one or in a small group of 2-5 students.
- Mark students’ work and maintain attendance register.
- Assist in counselling, explaining classwork and homework to pupils.
- Assist in physical education and sports activities.
- Website updating, fundraising and proposal writing.
Hours & Roster
- 30 hours a week. Hours vary from 5-6 hours per day Monday-Friday.
- Minimum stay length is 4 weeks or longer.
- Message us for application form.
Sleeping: The volunteers stay with host families, or in a volunteer house, depending on their placements. All volunteer accommodations have adequate sanitation facilities and security.
Linen & Laundry: Please bring own sleeping bag and towels. Laundry facilities available.
Eating: The host families prepare three meals a day for volunteers. Breakfast and dinner are usually given in the home and lunch is packed to be taken to work.
Transport: Volunteers will arrive in Accra Airport and will be met by one of our certified staff members and brought to their hostel/accommodation/host family. There is a two-day orientation for the volunteers and participants are expected to arrive at the project site the day before the project starts. The two-day orientation program begins the day after arrival and includes the social structure of Ghana, lectures on political and economic history, survival language lessons, cultural do’s and don’ts, health matters, socially accepted behaviours, work ethic in Ghana, expectations of the institution and the host project.
Following orientation you will begin your volunteer service. If your assignment is outside of Kasoa you will be accompanied by one of our staff or a local guide to facilitate your safe and timely arrival at your destination. Each volunteer is assigned a supervisor who will deal with matters such as culture shock, concerns of the volunteer or host project, project understanding and resolution of any problems or disputes.
Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 5 volunteers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- 18 + age preference.
- Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Leisure time: Kasoa (means market) is a fast growing rural community located 32km from Accra in the Central Region of Ghana. It’s a transit point to a number of tourist destinations such as the Kwame Nkrumah Museum, Monkey Sanctuary, Crocodile Cottage, Kakum National Forest and Canopy walk, a number of fishing communities, castles and parks that are good for hikes, walks and picnics.
In exchange for assistance with our children with learning disabilities project – volunteers receive accommodation & board, certification on completion and will experience wonderful Ghana.Sign up
Response Rate 100%
Response Time Within 10 days
Minimum Stay 4 weeks +
Positions Available 5