Self-Sufficient Living, Pisek, Czech Republic
Volunteer in Czech Republic with us. We (Damian and my wife Simona) are part of an extended family, living in 4 houses on the same plot. We grow some of our own food, keep 2 horses, 7 sheep and poultry. We don't sell anything, just for our own needs and for friends. We brew our own beer, wine, and press our own juice.
Self-Sufficient Living - Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week, but totally flexible
What’s included? Accommodation and all meals included
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, pocket money, internal transportation & travel insurance
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to stay with us & the dates you would be available. Prove to us that you've read through our profile. Your profile must be complete (description and photo) before contacting us
I grow the vegetable and care for the sheep. My wife had one horse, sold it, but when the foal is born, we will have a horse again, her sister has two. Her father looks after the poultry and grows crops in the fields with me. Her Mother has a small vegetable plot. We are not afraid of making our own tools, and have a home-made tractor and a soil trommel. I work 9-5 in a nearby town, so am usually not around during the day (on weekdays), so this time is your own - although if you are happy to work on your own at these times, then I can give you stuff to do. We work in the garden/fields in the evenings/weekends. We ask for a few hours help, with some of the following related tasks.
- Gardening - In our gardens we have vegetable plots, a greenhouse, and very soon a passively heated/ cooled poly-tunnel.
- Fixing, installing and maintenance.
- Cider & beer making.
- Animal feeding & caring.
- Making organic foods and goods.
- Please click here to see our Google Spread Sheet with all ongoing tasks and jobs.
Sleeping: Free accommodation is in a 2 bedroom cottage we have built in the garden.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and towels are supplied. Laundry facilities included also.
Eating: You can either eat with us in the evenings, or cook for yourself (the cottage has a kitchen). Breakfast and lunch you will have to make yourself (we provide food). We are meat eaters, but have no problem cooking vegetarian if you are that way inclined.
Transport: We live in a village with several pubs and shops, there is a small town 3km away, where you can get everything you need. The area isn't too spoilt (yet) although there are 3 small (international) supermarkets in the local town. My location is here:- https://firstname.lastname@example.org,18.7929944,19z
Bus stop: Pisek u Jablunkova , Nearest Train Station: Navsi, Timetables (and transport prices) are availaible here.
Amenities & Preferences
- We will accept and accommodate males, females, couples, families as volunteers.
- No age preferences, as long as over 18.
- Internet access: We have Wi-Fi in the cottage and can lend you a laptop or computer for use in the cottage if needed.
- We have bikes which you can borrow. Occasionally a car too.
- What’s to see & do: We live in a village with several pubs and shops, there is a small town 3km away, where you can get everything you need. The area isn't too spoilt (yet) although there are 3 small (international) supermarkets in the local town. We are surrounded by national park, so hiking 5 minutes away from the village. Mushroom foraging 3 minutes away. There is a strong regional identity to this part of the world, which contributes to the strong tradition in folk music / dancing and self-sufficiency. During the summer there are a lot of outdoor events locally, from A Small Rock Festival, to an outdoor Beer Festival, a Large Folk Festival, even a Potato Cake Festival!, pretty much every weekend there is something going on within 15km.
- Other work: If you are a native English speaker, then we may be able help you to find you a few hours a week of paid work - Teaching English / Looking after Kids. Not for us, but people we know make a living teaching English.
- Our newly created facebook page is here.
Click above image to see our newly created Facebook page.Sign up
Response Rate 100%
Response Time Within 10 days
Minimum Stay 2 weeks +
Positions Available 2
Available DatesAsk us