Ugandan Community Volunteer, Africa
We welcome anyone above 18 years, with a kind heart, open mind, love for HIV positive children, orphans, vulnerable women, elderly and prisoners, as well as a sharing attitude to impact on these groups. English speaking is the only requirement. Volunteers will receive training in doing the kind of fieldwork that interests them the most.
Ugandan Community Volunteer - Quick Checks
Hours & roster: 30 hours a week, week-ends mostly free
What’s included? Free accommodation & full board
What’s NOT included? Flights, visa & volunteer travel insurance & airport pickup/drop-off
Selection process: Message us about yourself, relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer & the dates you would be available
Abaana Community Outreach Africa (ACO-Africa) care for children and other vulnerable groups. Our mission is to create sustainable socio-economic changes capable of generating lasting impacts on communities affected by deprivation. We place an emphasis on education, health, psychosocial issues and economic empowerment as well as nutrition, human and environmental rights.
As a volunteer you should be:
- Ready to work with orphans, HIV positive children and women, deaf children, youth and prisoners.
- Should be innovative with arranging lessons or sessions and games for the children.
- Be ready for a very fragile community.
- Willing to play and interact with children including those living with HIV/AIDS.
- Emotionally strong.
As a volunteer you can focus and specialise in one of two volunteer programme areas.
- Community Development volunteering - working with orphans, elderly caretakers, HIV-positive children, women and other vulnerable groups. Our volunteers will conduct home and school based visits to meet the practical as well as psychosocial needs of our target groups.
- Prison Outreach volunteer – part take in the prison outreach projects working with prisoners. Volunteers will provide prisoners with counselling sessions on topics ranging from human rights, legal education, basic life skills and life in and after prison.
Volunteer tasks and jobs will include some of the following:
- Social support to HIV positive children, orphans and other vulnerable Children.
- Join in school and home based visits to orphans to assist in nutrition & hygiene education, as well as adherence to care and counselling.
- Prepare workshops or presentation focusing on sanitation and hygiene, HIV & AIDS, drug and substance abuse education and awareness to both the communities and vulnerable families.
- Office work related to organisation development and programming.
- Participate in organising recreational activities, retreats for children etc. during special session with children.
- Training of life skills, reproductive health, early pregnancy and relationship issues among youth in schools.
- Organising and training on human rights, legal education, basic life skills, behavioural changes, anger management and HIV/AIDS.
- To identify ways for fundraising for the programmes and linking the organisation to international partners.
- Writing articles, photos and filming.
Hours & Roster
- 30 hours a week. Hours vary from 5-6 hours per day Monday-Friday. Your help will be required some weekends.
- Minimum stay length is one month or longer.
- Message chat & interview before agreeing stay. Volunteers are expected to provide a copy of their flight & times of arrival one month before the arrival date.
Sleeping: We have got a house for volunteers. Volunteers will be provided with shared living facilities. Accommodating 3-4 people per room.
Linen & Laundry: Please bring own sleeping bag and towels. Laundry facilities available.
Eating: All meals will be covered. Most of our meals are vegetarian, including banana, cassava, potatoes, rice, corn and beans. On occasion, we may also provide fish, beef and goat meat.
Transport: Volunteers arrange theor own transport from Entebbe airport in Uganda to the project site The volunteers are expected to organise their own visas. Volunteers can visit their local Ugandan Embassy or consulate where they will be guided.
Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 4 volunteers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- 18 + age preference.
- Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Learning: Our environment is supportive and reliable. You will work with a team of likeminded professionals including lawyers and social workers.
- Safari Discount: Volunteers who want to go on safari during their stay in Uganda will receive a decent discount through our affiliation partners.
We are a Ugandan based international, non-discriminatory, non-profit organisation committed to providing support for the most vulnerable groups in society.Sign up
Response Rate 100%
Response Time Within 10 days
Minimum Stay 1 month +
Positions Available 4
Available DatesAsk us